Welcome to the Grant Water and Sanitation District
The Grant Water & Sanitation District is a local governmental entity formed in 1964 under Colorado law for the purpose of supplying water and sanitary sewer service. The District serves the Grant Ranch area including the commercial properties on the east side of Wadsworth from Belleview to the medical office buildings south of Bowles Avenue. Clement Park, Columbine Library, and the Raccoon Creek Golf Course are also in the District.
The District maintains its own sewer mains and the underdrain system installed in the Grant Ranch. Contracts between the District and the Denver Board of Water Commissioners, the City of Littleton, and two other special districts ensure treatment of the District’s sewage as well as full water service and maintenance to District customers. Denver Wastewater provides stormwater drainage but does not provide any sewer service to the Grant Ranch, even though part of the development is in the City and County of Denver.
The Grant Ranch community is built on the old Grant Ranch, which was originally acquired by Governor James Benton Grant about 1878. Grant was raised in the south, and brought the southern tradition of hunting and shooting with him to Colorado. Grant served as the governor of Colorado for one term from 1883 to 1885.
The Grant Ranch was active as a working ranch and enjoyed by the family for riding and equestrian pursuits. The family raised champion Hereford cattle and one of their stallions ran in the 1936 Kentucky Derby. During World War II, the ranch was a breeding center for the U.S. Army Remount Service and was also used for food production for Lowry Air Force Base, Fitzsimmons, and customers in the Denver area.
Pictures and additional information on the history of the Grant Ranch are available at the Grant Ranch Village Center and the Raccoon Creek Golf Course Clubhouse.
GWSD District Boundaries
The District generally lies to the east of Wadsworth Boulevard and to the west of Sheridan Boulevard, to the south of West Belleview Avenue and to the North of West Caley Place. The District contains approximately 760 acres lying within Jefferson County and approximately 295 acres lying within the City and County of Denver (See District Map below). Part of the District is also in the City of Lakewood.
View Grant Water and Sanitation District in a larger map